18 Of The Best Men’s Sweat Shorts That Will Take You From Couch to Bar (2022 Edition)
Since when did it become socially acceptable to wear sweat shorts outside the house? When we look back at the pre-pandemic era, the only instances when we could guiltlessly wear sweat shorts outside the house were to throw out the trash or maybe to get the groceries (even that was a stretch sometimes). One of the few things that we can actually thank the pandemic for is the rise and acceptability of loungewear.
With the popularity (and necessity) of comfy clothing in recent years, many (if not most) brands have been releasing their own versions of loungewear – sweat shorts included. Meanwhile, finding a pair of comfortable sweat shorts that are also polished enough to step outside of your house is no easy task.
From styles that can be mistaken as boxers to sweat shorts with lengths and fabrics that just don’t look right, you’ll encounter many options that’ll raise your eyebrows. But don’t you worry about those loungewear woes- we’ve done the research for you and picked out the best sweat shorts you can find.
Scroll through below to discover the coziest (and stylish) sweat shorts for men on the market right now.
Our Top Picks
The Best Men’s Sweat Shorts
Best for the everyday guy who wants to build his wardrobe with easy, basic pieces,
These trend-proof sweat shorts with
- The slightly shorter inseam on these shorts improves the fit with more room for multidirectional movements.
- These Nike sweat shorts are available in a wide range of sizes (XS-4XL) and come in Tall options for the taller guys.
- The soft, cotton jersey fabric is slightly thinner, so it may not be suitable to wear on chillier days.
If sustainability and transparency are values that you highly consider when shopping,
Unrecorded is a brand that is dedicated to creating timeless designs with 100% GOTS Certified Organic Cotton. They also avoid traditional retail mark-ups and provide transparency behind their pricing, which is a plus.
These comfortably soft French terry shorts are cut for a regular fit that works well with any top of your choice – a t-shirt, button-down shirt, or even a denim jacket. With no logos and other unnecessary details, you will never get sick of these sweat shorts, and they will last in your wardrobe for years.
- The regular fit of these sweat shorts are super classic and will be flattering on most men.
- The unique charcoal color of these sweat shorts are ideal to become a wardrobe staple. The particular gray shade will pair nicely with most neutral colors you can think of – white, black, gray, beige, brown, etc.
- The brand is located in The Netherlands, so if you are in other parts of the world, you may be charged for shipping – but remember, you are already getting these high-quality sweat shorts for a fair price.
The cotton-jersey sweat shorts from Fear of God are best for the stylish man. Great to wear with casual outfits on weekend brunches, these sweat shorts are perfect to put together a quick, effortless, and chic look.
Jerry Lorenzo’s luxury streetwear brand, Fear of God, offers a wide variety of street essentials like sweats, bags, and sneakers. Drawing inspiration from laid-back sportswear, Fear of God’s seasonal drops are a hot commodity among the street style crowd, as well as celebrities like Jay-Z, Justin Bieber, and Kanye West.
These sweat shorts are the perfect length and width to be worn comfortably by all body types. The cotton-jersey material is mid-weight and stretchy, providing the ultimate comfort while looking stylishly carefree. The black label logo in the crotch area is a critical detail that makes these sweat shorts stand out.
- We love the black leather logo applique patch at the front.
- The elongated drawstring that hangs down in the front is also a unique touch that helps give off a more carefree vibe.
- Due to high demand and popularity, these Fear of God sweat shorts are quite hard to get your hands on. They sell out fast but get restocked frequently and are available in several retailers, so be sure to snatch them when you spot them.
Best for men with sensitive skin are
You may not have heard of SeaCell but it’s surely worth noting. SeaCell is a natural seaweed fiber-rich in essential substances like vitamins, amino acids, and minerals. Purportedly this helps to activate the cell regeneration, helping to reduce inflammation and soothe the skin – or quite possibly the coolest thing ever.
- We love the 14% SeaCell blend fabric that will help activate cell regeneration and help soothe the skin
- 290 GSM fabric is the perfect mid-weight that isn’t too thin to be revealing or too thick to feel stuffy. It’s ideal to wear indoors or outdoors on a warmer day.
- The only thing we could nitpick on is the higher price tag.
Best for those looking for a pair of high-quality, basic pair of sweat shorts that will last for years, the Lululemon’s City Sweat Short in 9″ saves the day. Designed for on the move, these sweat shorts are great to wear from workouts to hang outs.
Lululemon is surely a highly trusted brand for its technical fabrics and thoughtful design for athletes and city men. These sweat shorts are cut in a soft, stretch french terry fabric that is naturally breathable and stretchy.
Coming in a perfect 9-inch length and a classic fit, these sweat shorts give your glutes and thighs extra breathing room. Being the style with the most pockets on this list, this is the style for you if you are the type to appreciate the extra storage space.
- Like all Lululemon products, these sweat shorts have thoughtful, hidden pockets (yes, one pocket even has a zipper) to securely store your essential belongings like your phone, keys, and some cash.
- We love the four-way stretch of the french terry fabric. This allows for the utmost comfort and natural flexibility with movement while preventing any unwanted stretches with the shape retention in the fabric.
- These sweat shorts have a slightly tapered fit. Although it wouldn’t bother most wearers, those with thicker thighs may find these to feel a bit tight.
If you are looking for the softest (and comfiest) pair of sweat shorts, James Perse’s Vintage French Terry Shorts are for you. Best for the laid-back guy with a relaxed but luxurious lifestyle, these sweat shorts are a must-have.
For a good reason, James Perse is a brand with a loyal following. Since its launch in 1994, James Perse has been making the softest t-shirts, sweats, knits, and other wardrobe staples known to those ‘in the know.’
The vintage, worn-in feel of these sweat shorts and the extremely soft texture make these a splurge item that is well worth your money. We love all four colorways, but if we had to pick a favorite, it’d be the ‘Deep Pigment’ – this one looks and feels the most luxurious while still being a stand-out unique piece.
- These sweat shorts are 100% cotton and are dyed with extra softeners for an ultra-soft, lived-in feel.
- The nonfunctional fly detail is a nice additional touch that makes these sweat shorts look and feel more put-together.
- If you have a larger bum, the two back patch pockets may bring a bit too much emphasis to your glutes.
Best for young adults and those with a sporty lifestyle, find the Champion Men’s 10″ Reverse Weave Cut-Off Shorts in your next online shop. These sweat shorts are on the sturdier and thicker side, so they are not ideal for working out, but are perfect for running errands and lounging around.
Champion is by far one of the ultimate go-to brands when it comes to sweats. Remember your favorite college hoodie and sweatpants that your girlfriend stole all the time? Those were probably by Champion. The sweat shorts are no exception. These comfortable, reverse weave sweat shorts are made of a sturdy, cotton-blend material that just feels so right.
The perfect 10-inch length that sits right above the knees and gives you enough coverage without feeling like you’re wearing boxers. The small C logo patch by the bottom edge keeps these sweat shorts classic without being too loud. And the raw edge, cut-off effect on the bottom hem gives it an extra casual and effortless vibe.
- The reverse weave fabric is heavyweight, sturdy, and is built to last. Most importantly, it’s shrink resistant, so take comfort in machine washing and drying.
- We love the wide array of colors available for these sweat shorts. The lighter, pastel colors are great for spring and summer but go with black or gray when in doubt.
- The raw edge, and cut-off of the bottom hem is a stylish detail, but we understand that it might not be everyone’s cup of tea.
If you often wear all-black outfits or love designer fashion in general, Rick Owens DRKSHDW’s Fogachine Jersey Trucker Cut Offs are the splurge your wallet may not thank you for, but your thighs will. This is one of the most non-athletic contestants on this list, but these are a terrific pick if you are looking for a dressier option.
Several elements carefully juxtaposed together make these sweat shorts so elegantly representative of “DRKSHDW”. The raw cut hems, drop crotch, and side seam splits, are just a few key features. The baggy fit and side slits make movement in these sweat shorts so much easier while looking fashionable as ever.
All Rick Owens DRKSHDW items are best if styled with other pieces from the collection, but if you don’t own anything else, simply pair your sweat shorts with a plain black or white tee for a clean, minimal look.
- The heavyweight cotton sweatshirt jersey maintains the unique silhouette of these sweat shorts without getting too flimsy or stretched out over time.
- These sweat shorts are made of certified organic cotton, which means the natural fiber is grown without harmful chemicals.
- The side slits may be cut a little too high for some, but if you are down for a little sexy and scandalous moment, why not go for it.
Amazon Essentials Men’s 9″ French Terry Short is best for those on a budget looking for something classic and timeless. This minimal design and soft terry cotton fabric are equally great for a workout or lounging around the house.
We all know that Amazon Essentials is a great place to look for wallet-friendly basics. This no-frills design with no unnecessary details like logos, buttons, or cutouts makes these a perfect staple to add to anyone’s closet.
Many reviewers have noted that these terry shorts feel incredibly soft to the touch, and the thicker material keeps its shape even after several washes.
- The pull-on waistband without any buttons or visible drawstrings makes these sweat shorts extra seamless and easy to wear.
- The side pockets are deep enough to fill a smartphone, which is a huge plus.
- Not a lot of color options are available.
If you are looking for a pair of relaxed sweat shorts that you can wear to the beach (or feel like you are at a resort), Faherty’s Whitewater Sweatshort is the perfect option for you. Great for strolling by the seashore or for brunching on the weekends, these sweat shorts are a fun piece that feels casual and lighthearted.
Faherty is known for its effortless, California vibe and its unbeatable, soft fabrics that ensure ultimate comfort. These sweat shorts are part of their iconic Whitewater collection, in which they offer a range of sweats in the specially knit herringbone pattern.
Coming in a subtle, striped pattern, these sweat shorts are brushed for extreme softness – they are also lightweight and airy. These sweat shorts are perfect to be paired with a crisp, white linen shirt for a relaxed, beachy look.
- We love the two-tone jacquard fabric that almost looks like herringbone, which will make you look and feel polished.
- The fabric is specially brushed for not only softness but also warmth – this unique, breathable fabric can be worn year-round and will keep you warm from the occasional breeze.
- Striped patterns usually have a visually widening effect, so those with wider hips or larger thighs may want to avoid this style.
Friends With Animals’ Logo-Embroidered Cotton-Jersey Shorts are best for casual guys and animal lovers. These FWA sweat shorts are ideal for taking a stroll around the park or going to the groceries.
Friends With Animals is a new, up-and-coming small brand founded by model-turned-designer Tavia Bonetti. The brand embodies nature-based designs with an inclusive, human and emotional ethos while encouraging compassion for animals. They are quickly gaining popularity and a niche following among fashion figures worldwide.
These sweat shorts bring up a particularly nostalgic mood of your arts and crafts days at summer camp, which is very signature and unique to FWA. Made with 100% cotton, they will wash and age nicely over the years for a more authentic vintage feel.
- The ’90s and the handwritten feel of the embroidered logo speaks for itself.
- These sweat shorts are handmade and custom dyed in Los Angeles, so each piece will be unique with slight variations in shade, cut, and logo. Your sweat shorts will be genuinely one and only.
- Although it looks super fresh, these crisp, white sweat shorts will get dirty with wear, and you’ll need to wash them often. Try not to sit on wet grass or dirty benches to avoid difficult stains.
Les Tien’s Heavyweight Yacht Shorts are for you if your style is leaned towards a minimal aesthetic. These sweat shorts are a great option for men with a cool, relaxed lifestyle and who also have an above-average interest in fashion.
Lee Tien is a sweats brand with a cult following among both men and women in the fashion world. Known for its completely unisex designs and its high-quality textiles, all its products have gone through a special process on a fine loom and have been rubbed with a steel brush, producing a unique vintage look and feel.
These sweat shorts involve thoughtful details like gold-plated grommets and reverse outer stitching with frayed bottom detail – this prevents the raw hems from unraveling.
- The 3-inch triple-stitched elasticized waistband provides extra support and comfort around your waist. The thicker band prevents any tugging into your skin and helps cover up the inevitable beer belly during the summer.
- The gold-plated cobrax grommets are a nice additional detail that adds a more luxurious feel to these soft sweat shorts. Les Tien lovers will immediately spot this tiny detail (it will serve as a low-key flex point).
- The braided cotton drawcords are slightly on the longer side, so if you tie it in a ribbon, it may appear bulky underneath your t-shirt
Best sweat shorts for the low-key guy that wants to keep things classy are KITH’s Wolcott Pocket Short. We especially love it in the brand’s color ‘Zone’ for Sunday brunches, vacations, or lounging around the house.
KITH is a store based in NYC that is highly renowned amongst luxury lovers and the street-style crowd. There always seems to be a line to get into their SoHo location – enough proof?
They operate both as a multi-brand retail store and a multifunctional lifestyle brand. Their collection of unisex clothing and accessories, ranging from sweats of all kinds to bucket hats, are steadfastly gaining popularity.
These sweat shorts are a must-have from the KITH collection. The muted gray ‘Zone’ colorway is very representative of the brand’s soft and moody palette. Subtle details like the cargo pockets and metal aglets on the drawcord string make these feel luxurious without being too ostentatious.
- We love the patch pockets with flaps on the sides, which makes these shorts reminiscent of cargo pants (very popular right now)
- We love the metal aglets on the poly drawcord strings and the bungee pullers on the zip pockets. These small details really make these sweat shorts feel super luxurious and different.
- These sweat shorts are made of 125 GSM cotton nylon faille fabric, making it one of the thicker options on this list. Although it provides great shape and sturdiness, these may not be the best for wicking sweat or sports activities.
Balenciaga’s Men’s Political Campaign Shorts in Black is best for high-end street style lovers. These sweat shorts for men make a great ‘feel good’ item, perfect for walking your dog around the park or chilling on a rooftop on a hot, summer day.
Pieces from Balenciaga’s Political Campaign collection have been a must-have for many stylish men and fashion influencers worldwide. The artwork logo is truly iconic for the brand and will continue to strive throughout the year.
Made of organic curly fleece in 100% cotton, these sweat shorts are the perfect thickness to give you a cozy feel, while maintaining their shape. These mid-rise shorts are cut for a more oversized, relaxed fit and are meant to sit right over the knees.
- Balenciaga’s Political Campaign artwork with white and red underlines has been the brand’s signature logo for several years. This is surely an element that will not go unnoticed and screams luxury.
- We like the oversized fit of these sweat shorts, creating the perfect street style look, paired with chunky sneakers.
- These sweat shorts are meant to be oversized for a baggy fit. However, they are only available in 3 sizes (S, M, L).
Outdoor Voices’ All Day 7″ Short is the best option for those looking for a pair of sweat shorts that they can wear for working out, hiking, running errands, and grabbing coffee. These are truly an all-in-one type of sweat short that you can whip out for all occasions.
Outdoor Voices fans swear by their CloudKnit line. The CloudKnit is insanely soft, light, breathable, and stretchy. Containing 6% spandex, these All Day shorts are the stretchiest sweat shorts on this list.
These relaxed-fit sweat shorts have an adjustable waistband to provide the comfortable fit you need. As the name suggests, these shorts are perfect for wearing “All Day” without getting too hot, feeling restraining, or looking lousy.
- Outdoor Voices’ famous CloudKnit – lightweight, breathable, stretchy. These are all the right words that should go with a comfortable pair of sweat shorts.
- We truly appreciate it when athletic brands include an internal phone pocket in their design.
- The heathered effect of the fabric truly makes these look like sweats. So if you are looking for something that has a more crisp and polished look, these may not be for you.
The best sweat shorts for the fashion-forward guy are Acne Studios’ Cotton Sweat Shorts. Great for picnics or a casual weekend date, these sweat shorts are not sloppy at all.
These sweat shorts are reminiscent of your favorite basketball shorts with a relaxed fit and longer knee length. Details like the front zippered pockets and the back patch pocket with an embroidered logo make these sweat shorts a unique fashion item that will surely get you compliments.
We especially love these sweat shorts in the brand’s signature pink color, but if you want something a little less experimental, feel free to go with black or gray.
- The zippered side pockets are not only a cool design element but also a thoughtful detail that will make your life easier when carrying personal belongings.
- We love the brand’s signature salmon pink color which is very representative of Acne Studios.
- These Acne Studios cotton sweat shorts are on the longer side. Not suitable for all style interests.
If you are an average guy who is just looking for comfort, the Adidas Men’s Essentials Fleece 3-Stripes Shorts is an easy style that will work with all body types.
These fleece sweat shorts from the sportswear giant, Adidas are a timeless, classic piece that will never look dated. The 3-stripes design element along the outside will remind you of your favorite pair of track pants from high school whilst feeling fresh and up to date.
These sweat shorts offer a regular fit that is not too tight and not too loose – the perfect in-between fit. The drawcord on the elastic waist allows you to adjust the band for a comfortable and secure feel while performing light exercises or running errands around the house.
- Adidas’ 3-stripes never get old and instantly makes you feel sporty chic.
- The perfect regular fit that most (if not all) men will find comfortable and suitable.
- The side pockets on these sweat shorts are not deep enough to carry any important belongings (will not fit a phone).
The best sweat shorts for the minimalist are A.P.C.’s Jordan Shorts in black. These black sweat shorts are classic and feel dressy enough to wear with a shirt or denim jacket on date nights.
A.P.C. is a go-to brand for many men who love their minimal aesthetic. It is no surprise that they have impeccably mastered these black sweat shorts to meet the needs of many capsule closets worldwide.
These men’s sweat shorts look extremely polished in a saturated, black color – it even has a faux fly detail. They are also made with thick napped fleece, which is warm and also sturdy enough to maintain its unique A-line shape.
- A true minimalist often doesn’t even enjoy visible logos on their clothing. These men’s sweat shorts resolved this problem with the tone-on-tone logo embroidered at the top of the left pocket for a subtle statement.
- The faux fly detail makes these men’s sweat shorts easy to dress up or down.
- The leg opening is a bit on the wider side, which will most certainly be comfortable (lots of air circulation) but may also make your legs appear to be slimmer.
When searching for moisture-wicking sweat shorts, the key materials to look out for are synthetic fabrics, most commonly polyester or nylon. These materials are hydrophobic, which means they resist the penetration of water.
The best option for men’s sweat shorts would be cotton & polyester blends that help remove sweat from your skin while wicking and evaporating away the sweat quickly.
All of the brands mentioned above are great options for sweat shorts, depending on what you are looking for.
But if we had to pick the best men’s sweat shorts brand, it would have to be
Nikeor Champion for their classic designs and technical fabrics. They both create wearable designs for anyone and are also affordable enough, making their products much more approachable.