NEW MODERN EUROPEAN SPOT MAENE TO OPEN IN SPITALFIELDS
From Townsend’s Nick Gilkinson, Maene will launch in March
After getting off to an impressive start with his first restaurant, Townsend (despite having opened just a month before the first lockdown), Nick Gilkinson is moving on to his second. Maene will open this spring in Spitalfields, taking full advantage of one of the neighbourhood’s historic buildings – a Victorian clothing factory.
The all-day spot will take inspiration from the relaxed atmosphere of European bistro culture and serve up a menu of modern dishes made with seasonal British produce. Expect the likes of:
- Mersea oysters with pickled Jalapeno and sorrel
- Allotment fritto misto, smoked chilli aioli
- La Latteria Stracciatella, pickled squash, yesterday’s bread
- Springfield farm chicken, rosemary, garlic and burnt lemon, green goddess sauce, served alongside Keats farm salad and pickled onion and miso dressing
- Yorkshire rhubarb, set Bermondsey honey cream and bronze fennel
- Sgroppino pear sorbet, English sparkling wine and elderflower
Drinks-wise, there’ll be a selection of cocktails that can be enjoyed in the separate cocktail bar alongside some plates from the kitchen. The main dining room will comprise counter seating, an open kitchen, a large 18-seater sharing table, and banquettes. Come summer, Maene will open up the terrace that looks out over the skyline thanks to the restaurant’s position at the top of the building – just another reason to look forward to warmer months.
STAY IN THE LOOP. SIGN UP TO OUR DROPS
Opens March 2023
7-9 Fashion Street, London E1 6PX